Nyungwe Forest National Park covers an area of 970km2. It became a national park in 2004. The park has an elevation range of between 0oC and 30oC, average temperatures 15oC and rainfall between 1800 to 2500mm per year with a rainy season from September to May and dry season from June to August.
Attractions in the park
• Above 100 species of orchids plus giant lobelias.
• Above 260 species of trees plus shrubs.
• Above 275 species of birds recorded comprising of the Ruwenzori turaco, Red-throated alethe, Ross’s turaco, Grey –cheeked hornbill, Red-breasted sparrow hawk, Blue-headed and Regal sunbirds, White-headed wood-hoopoe, Kungwe apalis and Rwenzori batis
• Biggest montane rain forest remaining in Africa.
• Kamiranzovu marsh (13 sq. Km)
• Mount. Bigugu (2925M)
Primate species found in Nyungwe forest National Park
• Den’t mona monkey
• Golden monkey
• Grey-cheeked mangabey
• L’Hoest’s monkey
• Olive baboon
• Owl-faced monkey
• Red -tailed monkey
• Rwenzori colobus
• Silver monkey
• Three species of bush baby
• Vervet monkey
Animals found includes,
• African civet,
• Golden cat
• Golden cat,
• Serval cat,
• Side-stripped jackal
• Slender and
• The marsh mongoose, Etc.
Tourism activities in Nyungwe Forest National Park
• Chimpanzee tracking.
• Climbing Mt Bigugu (2925M).
• Trips to Kamiranzovu Marsh.
• Trips to Lake Kivu plus Gisakura tea factory.
Attractions outside Nyungwe forest National Park
• Butare –visit the Museum, University, cathedral, arboretum plus the curio worships.
• Genocide memorial of Murambi.
• Nyabisindu to visit the Nyanza King’s Palace, the capital of ancient Rwanda Kingdom.
• The Cathedral of Kabgayi and the adjacent small ethnographic museum. Kamageri’s Rock (Uratare rwa Kamageri) on the roadside after Ruhango towards Gikongoro.
Nyungwe forest lodge
Nyungwe forest lodge is situated in a tea plantation on the edge of the Nyungwe National park the lodge offers confortable rooms with fireplace, private mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities, private deck, Air conditioning, en-suite bathroom with indoor shower, Digital satellite TV, international dial telephone and wireless internets access
Nyungwe National Park Samuel Makanga